Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

A Fragrance That Lingers

A Fragrance That Lingers February 19, 2010 by Karen King Filed under Faith, Faith Articles I love perfumes and I love those wonderful after-shaves that men wear. Long ago, I discovered a fragrance that I liked so much that I never wear anything else. It is Amarige by Givenchy. People are always complimenting me on it, my clothing all smells like it, and those people who really know me well associate that perfume with me. A few years ago, upon arriving home late one evening from a Sunday School get-together that had been held at a local restaurant, I realized that I had left my purse somewhere. I frantically called the restaurant but no one had seen it. Ladies, you know what it is like to lose your purse. It has all of your valuable information in it!!! So panic was beginning to set in as I tried to imagine where on earth my purse could be. Just then, the phone rang and as I answered it, I recognized a friend’s voice on the phone. “Have you by chance lost something?” she asked teasingly. “Oh, yes, I’ve lost my purse!!! Did you find it somewhere?” I breathed expectantly. “I surely did,” she replied. “It was in the restaurant way up under the table where you were sitting.” “Oh, thank you!” I gushed profusely. “I’m so glad that you looked inside to see whose it was!” “Oh,” my dear, “I certainly didn’t have to do that! I knew it was yours by its fragrance. I’d recognize your perfume anywhere! I’ll give it to you in church tomorrow.” After thanking her, I went to bed very grateful to God for answering the quick prayers I had sent up about my purse. But the teacher in me latched on to what my friend had said: “I knew it was yours by its fragrance.” This is February, the “love month”! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Many of us strive to show our love to our loved ones with candy, cards, perfumes and many other gifts. I am thinking much these days of a “love gift” that was given to Jesus while He was ministering on this earth. It was a costly gift with a sweet aroma called “nard”. Mary poured it upon His head with reckless abandon to show the great love that she had for Jesus. It was probably the most costly thing that she owned. Jesus referred to its significance as an embalming fragrance that was for His soon-to-be death. (John 12:3,7) Many criticized Mary for giving this costly gift. But as its sweet smell permeated the room and the hair and clothing of her Master, He had only words of praise for her that day because she gave the most costly gift that she had to the One that she loved the most….a true gift of love with a wonderful fragrance! Psalm 116:1-2 says, “What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I shall lift up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.” Of course, we can never give a love gift to repay our Lord for all that He has done for us, but we should never give Him anything that cost us nothing. What love gifts are you giving to Jesus on a regular basis? How much do they cost you? And what fragrance do you bring into a room that lingers behind you when you leave? Oh, that I might leave the sweet fragrance of Jesus wherever I go! May someone notice that there was something different about me because He lives in this humble abode; my body; His temple! “What shall I offer for all His benefits towards me?” Everything that is precious to me!

No comments: